|
MEDIA RELEASE
Wednesday, 25 March
Fisheries Bill Still Not Dead

Pressure is growing on the government to drop a controversial Bill that has riled the public into action over the past week. Fishing and environmental advocacy groups have been rallying against the Fisheries Amendment Bill since its release last week. The ‘Kill the Bill’ campaign has raised an online storm of protest.
Prime Minister Christopher Luxon has today announced that the Coalition’s proposal to allow commercial fishers to land and sell undersized fish has been dropped. Advocacy groups, coordinated by LegaSea, the New Zealand Sport Fishing Council public outreach vehicle, see the announcement as progress. However all agree, the Bill must be dropped altogether.
“The minimum size limit proposal was just clickbait; the government couldn’t have got that over the line before the election, but realistically, the whole Bill needs to be dropped. It’s that flawed,” said Sam Woolford, LegaSea Project Lead.
“It’s clear by the groundswell of public opinion that Kiwis don’t support these reforms. The Coalition clearly doesn’t understand that people have lost faith in the process. They must listen to people’s concerns about the Bill. The only logical step is for the government to take the rest of the Bill off the table before its first reading.”
Scott Macindoe, President of the New Zealand Sport Fishing Council, is pleased the politicians have listened to the public’s concerns. The Council’s membership has been actively opposed to weakening environmental safeguards for fish and lowering standards of oversight, including banning public access to camera footage.
“The New Zealand Sport Fishing Council has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars advocating for restored abundance and a fair go for all Kiwis. The Amendment Bill is a slap in the face for all those people who have fought hard to defend the public’s interest in securing more fish in the water.”
The New Zealand Sport Fishing Council and LegaSea will continue to advocate that the Amendment Bill must be dropped at its first reading, before it goes to the Primary Production Select Committee.
“The Prime Minister’s announcement goes to show just how much public pressure can influence decisions. We must keep the pressure on,” said Scott Macindoe.
Sam Woolford is concerned that the Select Committee cannot make major changes to the intent of the Amendment Bill.
“The Bill seeks to pass control of New Zealand’s fish to a small cartel of quota owners. That control must stay with the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries so the public can have a say in the future management of our fish, and so our kids can enjoy abundant fisheries.”
ENDS
More information
Fisheries Amendment Bill
Kill the Bill campaign
LegaSea
New Zealand Sport Fishing Council
NATIONAL’S STATEMENT 25/03
“National backs recreational fishers and we’ve heard your concerns over the past couple of days.
“That’s why this morning I spoke to New Zealand First Minister Shane Jones and he agreed to take out the sections of the Fisheries Amendment Bill that removes the minimum size limits.
“As a recreational fisher, I share Kiwis’ concerns on the impacts to juvenile fish stocks. We want to ensure our kids and grandkids have abundant fisheries for the decades to come.
“I know Kiwis still have some concerns, which is why we want the fishing community to submit to the Select Committee process on this Bill.”
– Christopher Luxon, Prime Minister
|
This new Bill should be completely removed, it wasn’t the size limits that were my only concern the entire Bill was giving commercial fisherman free rein to run rampant with any accountability, this entire Bill is beyond believe, stupidity sums the Bill intention, Jones has shown his true colour’s and step away from First altogether
Jones is a political disaster and his existence in Parliament shows a serious flaw in the List MP aspect of MMP. He has been defeated four times in elections standing in electorates but each time has cruised into Parliament on the List MP boat.
There are serious flaws in the cabinet’s choice of ministers. Jones should never have been considered for minister of oceans and fisheries because of his very close ties with the commercial fisheries companies.
Having questioned that, the Fisheries Bill should be ditched and things like cameras on boats, an independent credible enquiry into the corporate dominated, monopolistic Quota Management System plus a complete culture shift in fisheries management giving equal consideration to the public recreational and commercial. “Equal the ooerative word).
Very importantly a good hard look (enquiry) into the competence and commercial leanings of the Ministry of Fisheries.
What a spectacular messy own goal from Jones! To see him blinking like a flat-footed nincompoop on the press walk up last night, abandoned by even his precious Winnie… priceless. Now on to banning the destructive madness that is bottom trawling! “Can you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men! It is a music of a people who will not be slaves again!” Kill the Bill! Marchons!
Luxton’s comments are “double speak”. He says “National backs recreational fishers” and then goes on to say “I know Kiwis still have some concerns, which is why we want the fishing community to submit to the Select Committee process on this Bill.”
Why should we have to submit if he (his party) backs us? It smells like he will still pass it and say something like “he had to act in the best interest of the economy”.
We need not only submit on the bill but also keep up the criticism in every possible way.